Who we are
The overcrowding problem of stray animals in Portugal is a reality. Animal collection and shelter associations (important and necessary to solve the problem of animals that already exist) do not have financial and human resources to tackle the fundamental problem of the many hundreds of thousands of dogs and cats that continuously reproduce in the public domain.
These animals live without access to basic health care, sufficient food, shelter or comfort, victims of hunger, disease and abuse, condemned to short and no quality existences.
The Animais de Rua Association was created precisely to try to alleviate the suffering of these stray animals and to prevent others to be born under the same conditions. In this way, we direct our efforts and resources not only to the promotion of animals’ welfare but also to the defence of public health, as well as people’s safety and comfort.
- Integrated program for population control of stray/wild animals and belonging to low-income families, through mass sterilization, in partnership with municipalities;
- Program for adoption of docile animals;
- School education program through which we seek to raise awareness and educate our country’s children and young people regarding the abandonment problem and the value of respect for animal life;
- Information campaigns on responsible pet ownership;
- Workshops and training activities, in partnership with Change For Animals Foundation (CFAF), for veterinarians and animal protection organizations who intend to start with the TNR method.
Population control and intervention program
- Application of Trap-Neuter-Return (TNR) method in partnership with several Portuguese municipalities: organized capture of animals (through specialized equipment), sterilization, treatment in case of existing pathologies, marking with a small cut on the left ear tip (internationally identifiable sign of a sterilized animal) and subsequent release into the territory of origin, where they are daily monitored and fed. Docile animals and their young are, when possible, placed in Temporary Host Families waiting for responsible adoption.
- Food and veterinary support for animals living with homeless people and low-income families and that are, often, the only source of their companionship and affection. We develop this work in partnership with municipalities and other institutions of social solidarity.
A Portuguese society where animals are seen as a valuable part of community.
Provide national and local authorities, institutions and communities with the knowledge, resources, capacity and desire to improve animal welfare and ensure their needs are actively met.
All our resources will be used having animal interest and welfare as first priority;
All our policies and decisions will be guided by strict ethical principles;
All our interventions will value the individual welfare of each animal;
All our interactions with any person, group, community, organization or authority will be respectful and cooperative;
All our volunteers and staff will incorporate the Animais de Rua’s values.
Where we are
The Animais de Rua Association operates nationally, with 5 centers across the country: